"Care what other people think, and you will always be their prisoner." - Lao Tzu
If I could tell all women everywhere just one thing, it would be this:
F*ck what other people think of you.
I wrote a Motivational Monday post a few weeks ago on why fear is SO boring, but I never really got down to the nitty gritty on what I think scares people the most.
It's funny, because there are so many things to worry about in life, and yet almost all of us subconsciously choose to stress over what other people have to think/say about us.
I have to say though, the accomplishment I'm most proud of since starting college three years ago is seriously letting go of that fear of what other people might say about me. Sure, if it's something constructive or if I've genuinely hurt someone's feelings, I want to know. But the petty, judgy, unnecessary as hell comments? #byefelicia
Sharing my life online gives people plenty of opportunity to drag me down and make fun of whatever I'm doing. In fact, I have received (just a few, thankfully) hateful comments since starting my blog.
I'll admit, at first I was shook! But then I thought: 1) I love doing this. 2) I'm fortunate enough to have been able to turn what I love into a business. 3) This makes me happy; nobody can take that away from me.
I've definitely grown up in the past few years, and a lot of this can be attributed to the fact that I've shut out the negativity. I love the idea of putting my blinders on and staying in my own lane, and I think everybody else should do the same if they don't have anything nice to say.
It's been a long road letting go of the fear of judgement from peers but, though it still gets to me every once in awhile, I'm pretty much in the clear now. Throw some (classy) shade right back at 'em and I'm on my way. #unrattled
That being said, the journey is always ongoing, and there's no doubt we can all use a bit more confidence in this day and age. So, here are a few of my favorite quotes that I think should pretty much serve as everyone's rulebook when it comes to caring about what other people think:
10 QUOTES TO MAKE YOU STOP CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK:
1. "When you do not seek or need approval, you are at your most powerful." - anon
2. "Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep." - anon
3. "I don't care what you think of me. I don't think about you at all." - Coco Chanel
4. “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.” - Marilyn Monroe
5. “I want to be around people that do things. I don’t want to be around people anymore that judge or talk about what people do. I want to be around people that dream and support and do things.” - Amy Poehler
6. “There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” - Aristotle
7. "Don't get confused about what people say and who you know you are." - anon
8. "When someone judges you, it isn't actually about you." - anon
9. "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
And can we talk about this outfit? If you follow me on Insta, you've already seen a preview, but stay with me.
PS: This look is made up mostly of clothes I already had in my closet, but I'm linking very similar pieces below so you can shop your faves.
One of my favorite trends this season has been over-the-knee boots. I searched high and low for a grey pair and almost dropped a couple hundred dollars at one point, but I last-minute snagged these at Charlotte Russe for literally $25. Yeah, I'm SO patting myself on the back right now.
Overall, these OTK boots are incredibly versatile, and I loved pairing them with my light wash jeans and cream leather jacket for a neutral spring look. This is an example of an outfit I would throw on for a super quick run to the store or something, because it's comfy, yet presentable.
I just went on a huge clothing haul though (as evidenced by this recap), and I can't wait to share some of the edgier pieces I bought soon!
Hope you're having an amazing week, and let me know...how do you deal with other people's negativity/judgement?
P.P.S. If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for TBC's "Weekly Dose of Inspiration". We send out a note every Tuesday with book recommendations, bada$$ quotes, playlists, style deals, and more. Don't miss it!